Re: request for new feature

Igor,

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
Harold,

I have to agree with David here.  If everyone's pet commands were to be
added into the default X tray menu (an equivalent of the root menu in
other WMs, I guess), that menu would be well nigh unmanageable.  It would
be much nicer to have the configurability of, say, fvwm in the multiwindow
WM.  This would let people actually add their own commands as they please
without necessarily affecting other users.  The multiwindow window manager
is still young, with room to grow -- it might be better to learn the
lessons of other WMs and do it right.
	Igor
P.S. You're also right that adding a static xterm startup item to the menu
is a step in the general direction of a configurable menu.  Besides,
you're the maintainer, and thus, you're the boss. :-)

I am all about baby steps. We haven't even proven that we know how to start a new application for the user from the system tray icon yet. Until we actually do that this discussion is really pointless.

My development plan goes something like this: do it simply, test it, make it more complex.

As for adding xterm... I really don't think it is a pet command. xterm is often an item in shortcut menus and it happens to be the only application that we start by default in startxwin.bat. So, it wouldn't be such a leap to want to let people start another xterm if they accidentally close the default one.