Re: request for new feature

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:01:57PM +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>>Depends on if we use Cygwin's fork or Window's CreateProcess.  We
>>haven't made that decision yet.
>
>I'd not set any conditions.  If one implements it with fork or with
>CreateProcess is quite unimportant.

Well, it wouldn't be for any other cygwin project.

>BTW: I'd prefer CreateProcess as it bypasses the fork-emulation in
>cygwin.dll

...The same emulation used by thousands of other programs with no problem.

So, in other words, your preference would be to find the program on the
path, call a cygwin process to check to see if a program to be run is a
symlink, call a cygwin function to translate the program to windows
format, then to populate the ten arguments to CreateProcess, rather than
do something like:

if (fork() == 0)
  {
    setsid ();
    system (pgm);
  }

And, of course none of the non-cygwin mechanism above would work for
shell scripts.  That's an added wrinkle.  But maybe you only want to
be somewhat flexible in what you can run.

Ok.  I will try again to stop talking about this.  I have to admit to
being disappointed by how little this official cygwin project appears to
want to interact with the the main cygwin project.

cgf