Re: rfe: seamless windows integration

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:46:43PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

2. All X client application on one's machine should have shortcuts associated with them in the start menu, and these shortcuts should be created automatically during installation.

This is icing on the cake. This is the kind of thing that Microsoft hires 500 college interns to write in the summer because it takes a hell of a lot of time and attention to detail to get it 'right', whereas the overall benefit is very small in comparison.

Furthermore, this requires interacting with the Cygwin setup developers. You think I am mean?

The setup developers aren't all that mean, actually.  But, then neither
are you.

Heh heh...

However, I don't see why this would require any setup changes.  A
postinstall script should be able to set up icons, etc.  I can't decide
if the thought of a folder filled with scores of icons for X programs is
intriguing or frightening, though.

I think the thing that would require modification is the part where we confirm with the user whether or not they want such icons to be created. It would probably be worse to just create 100 icons without asking than it would be to not create them at all.