Re: XWinrc configurable server (menus/icons)

Howdy Harold...

At 10:40 PM 8/6/2003 -0400, you wrote:
c) Replaces %display% with 127.0.0.1:<display>.0 in commands
Huh, I was going to say that %display% should be replaced with "127.0.0.1:0.0", but then I remembered that we know the "0.0", but we don't know that the user connected via "127.0.0.1". However, should we just choose to replace display with "127.0.0.1:d.s" where d is display and s is screen? I know that some users report better performance when using their actual ip instead of lookback for DISPLAY...
Ugh... what should we do here? Leave it as you did it?

I plead innocence! Actually, 127.0.0.1 is what the clipboard and WM connect to, so I just left it at that. As for screens, I chose 0 because while you can have multiple screens per server, what one do you choose when you do something from a menu? If I choose "xterm" from the taskbar, which screen does that mean? Seriously, I couldn't think of a good answer. I don't really have any love for one or the other method, whatever works is OK by me...

I shudder to imagine how the loopback adapter is slower than an IP
lookup, and double-shudder when you can actually notice the difference
with XWin being so slow updating the screen anyway...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com
 cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
 http://www.cdrlabel.com