Re: Unable to delete .X11-unix\X0 file

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
Boris Mayer-St-Onge wrote:

Hi everybody,

We have Cygwin 1.3.22-1 installed on a Windows XP sp1 machine with XFree86 4.3.0-1. The computer is part of a domain and can be use by several users.

The installation on Cygwin/XFree86 has been done as follow :

1- As Administrator, we have installed Cygwin/XFree86 on a local D:\ drive (so not at the standard folder).

2- We have edited the file usr\X11R6\bin\starxwin.bat to set correctly the variable CYGWIN_ROOT.

You shouldn't need to do that if you are running startxwin.bat from the d:\ drive and Cygwin was installed to d:\cygwin. On the other hand, if you used a directory other than d:\cygwin, you would have to set CYGWIN_ROOT.

We effectively do not use the d:\cygwin directory.

When we run Cygwin/XFree86, everything is correct for everybody. Unfortunately, when a user close his session without exiting Cygwin/XFree86, the file tmp\.X11-unix\X0 is not deleted. When an other user try to open Cygwin/XFree86, the application doesn't start since the file tmp\.X11-unix\X0 is present and the user is not able to delete it. As administrator I must then delete the file.

I have try to modify the permissions on folder tmp and tmp\.X11-unix to allow users to delete the XO file but I doesn't work.

So my questions are :

1- Is the above situation normal?

2- If not, what should I forget to do during the installation and configuration?

3- If yes, is it possible to allow users to delete XO file?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and answers.

Short of an administrative permissions fix (which I still think should work),

I haven't found how. Do you have suggestions?

I can only suggest that maybe it is time we start trapping the logoff/shutdown messages and call GiveUp when this happens. I would think that Windows would send the WM_QUIT or WM_CLOSE message to all open applications in these cases, but I could be wrong. Are the users simply turning the machine completely off? If so, then you would need to retrain the users before looking for other solutions.

No, the users only close their session. They know they must close Cygwin before log out but with the new version, with -multiwindow (we love it), users close the xterm but sometime forgot to close the Cygwin/XFree86 Server.

Boris