Re: Cannot display through rsh

If Cygwin is not aware of java, which means the GUI
app should not be able to display on my Windows
machines, then why is it the case that number #1 in my
example works?  Meaning, when I'm on Unix, set the
display to Windows, and run the Java GUI, the gui
correctly displays on the Windows machine?

Ben

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Ben Kim wrote:

> I am trying to call a script located on my Windows
box
> from my Unix box through rsh.  All the script does
is
> run a java GUI application that outputs some
> information in standard out.  When I run this script
> through rsh, the java process is up and running on
> Windows (I also see output, also check task manager)
> but the GUI frame does not show up.  On Windows, I
> installed cygwin and xfree.  I started X via
> xstartwin.  I also xhost + to allow any host to
> remotely display on Windows.  I know display isn't
the
> problem because if I am on my Unix machine, if I set
> the display to Windows, and run the java app locally
> on Unix, the app correctly displays on Windows.
Only
> if the I'm trying to rsh the same script on Windows
> from Unix, this doesn't work.  Another interesting
> point is that if I were to change the script on
> Windows to run cygwin/xfree xterm instead of the
java
> app,  and from Unix rsh the script, the xterm
> correctly displays.  But as soon as I put in the
java
> app, it does not display.
>
> To summarize:
>   1.  From Unix, run java app on Unix, display to
> Windows (works)
>   2.  From Unix, rsh java app on Windows, display to
> Windows (does NOT work)
>   3.  From Unix, rsh cygwin xapps (xterm, xclock
etc)
> on Windows, display to  Windows (works)
>
> Does anyone know what this might be the case?  And
is
> there any way to get #2 to work?

Ben,

There is no Cygwin-aware Java JDK.  This basically
means that, unlike the
Unix one, the JDK you're using on Windows is not using
the X protocol to
display windows, but rather the Windows GDI one.  In
other words, you
cannot do what you want without a VNC-like tool that
would let you display
*any* Windows native application using X.
        Igor