Multiple Monitors on XP

Hi,
I am using XP on a laptop and am also using an external monitor.
I have my laptop as display 1, and the external monitor as display 2
All using XP's built in mulitple monitor support.

Now the problem...
When I start X using startxwin.sh (or any other method), the clients all start on display 2, and if I drag them back to display 1, all their content disappears, ie the terminal window blanks out.
If I drag them back to monitor 2, the content reapears along with any commands that have been entered

This is with the latest 1.5 updated this morning, but has never worked for me

Any suggestions ?
I have tried different combinations of manually setting DISPLAY eg :0, :0.1 :1 etc

Thanks