Re: Cygwin Win-stall on 98, SSH to Mandrake won't run GUI

Botl,

You are trying to do one of two things:

1) Display remote X apps that are launched from a console (ssh or telnet) on the remote machine. This is documented here:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html

2) Get a GUI session on the remote machine, just as if you were sitting on the console. This is documented here:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html

Hope that helps,

Harold

Botl J. Rokit wrote:

Everyone, I hate to ask you this, but I'm just too green. Before we get into the rightful rattletrap about GUI crutches, my end users are all Win-dependent, and anything that I can remotely kick off and force their hand at is more beautiful than you'd ever know.

I have installed Cygwin on a Windows 98 and 2000 computer (twice over, two different boxes), and have been able to command-prompt over to my new Mandrake Linux 9.1 computers. I can even get to root, of course! I simply can't get the GUI to come up, when I attempt to run things like MCC (Mandrake Control Center). I get this message:

Unknown terminal: cygwin
Check the TERM environment variable.
Also make sure that the terminal is defined in the terminfo database.
Alternatively, set the TERMCAP environment variable to the desired
termcap entry.
tset: unknown terminal type cygwin
Terminal type?

Now at this point, I get to enter either "cygwin" (which ends up saying, again, "Unknown terminal: cygwin") or "vt100" (just to shut it up). At that point, I get a remark that says

Erase is backspace.

And that's that. Being incredibly new, I'm not even certain *where* to look. I can say, however, that I *suspect* that it's because I haven't defined something on either of my linux b0x3n. And that I'm a total newbie.

Thanks for the help. Seriously.

Eric Geater
Botl J. Rokit