Re: Pre 1.5.3-1 static libs (was cygwin 1.5.3-1 and xfree devel)

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 Brian Ford wrote:
>
>>If confirmed, a short note to cygwin-apps may be in order, adding packages
>>containing static libraries that make system calls whose arguments have
>>changed size to the list of ASAP rebuilds.
>>
>You mean another note to go with the 27 other times this was mentioned?

Ok, I thought I had been keeping up with the requirements fairly closely.
I guess I was a bit slow to put 2 and 2 together with respect to static
libs.  I thought other package maintainers might have been also.  Sorry.

>>(Wish I would have helped make this a compile time, rather than link time
>>feature.  Lazy me.)
>
>One of us is really confused as to why making this compile time versus
>link time would be a wonderful thing.  I guess you could do something
>like "#define stat stat64" in a header file but that comes with its own
>set of problems.

Maybe.  It is just the same set of problems that most UNIX vendors I work
with chose.  Thus, it's more familiar to me, and I would guess others too.

>Suffice it to say that we chose to go with a link time solution since,
>IMO, it is the best solution.  The problem with libraries was a known
>one prior to releasing 1.5.x and we are all competent enough programmers
>to understand that we could mess around with headers and play with
>ifdefs and defines.  We chose not to.

Ok.  I give.

--
Brian Ford