Re: xserver german keyboard

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:24:45 +1200 (NZST)
pnews@lomarline.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> [snip]
> > i don't understand why X works with startx, but not with my starting method.
> >
> > my starting method:link on desktop. target:
> > c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c '/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe :0 -query myserver -once -fullscreen'
>
> Have you included the PATH additions mentioned in startxwin.bat before
> you run your link?

ok. seems like it was a problem with PATH settings or my setting of the current working directory.

i got a new FAQ entry:
the problem is my windows is german. i hope i used the right translations in (brackets) !
if not please correct.

Q: how do i make a desktop icon on my win98 machine, which contacts
   my XDMCP server for a remote session?

A: right-click in the desktop. choose Neu(new) Verknuepfung(link).
   as commandline type
   c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c 'PATH=/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin XWin.exe :0 -query myserver.mydomain -once -fullscreen'
   as "Ausfuehren in" (execution path) choose C:\

   if you don't do the PATH stuff, or maybe even don't choose C:\ as root path, you may encounter
   strance problems which result in libX..DLL not found and you won't get german keyboard support!

Q: what the heck! sometimes my german keyboard works, sometimes not! i don't understand!
   and he always sais he not find my libx.... DLL !
A: the xkbcomp program does not work if your PATH settings don't include /usr/X11R6/bin.
   then the xserver work's but has only US keys.

i am using this configuration in order to connect our windows office computers to the rest of the network
and software by doing remote X11 sessions.

thx for all your help &
of course thx for cygwin!

cu
erik