Re: minimize emacs

Jason,

No problem.

Harold

Jason Dufair wrote:
Harold -

This is working. Many thanks for putting this in. Talk about service!

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Jason,

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted.

I don't have time for a formal release announcement now, but I just posted XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-8 as a "test" release. You have to manually select this in Cygwin's setup.exe when it shows up on mirrors in a few hours.

The new test release handles WM_CHANGE_STATE IconicState messages and calls ShowWindow (hWnd, SW_MINIMIZE). I tested it with emacs and it works for me. I can't believe that no one asked for this before... it seems to have been a missing feature for a long time.

Thanks for testing,

Harold

Jason Dufair wrote:

Harold -

How does the following sound?

Check the function `x_iconify_frame' in xterm.c in the Emacs sources
to see what it does.  Basically, what it boils down to is Emacs
running `XIconifyWindow' which sends a `ClientMessage' with
`IconicState' to X.  See if the windowmanager listens to the
`WM_CHANGE_STATE' hint properly.

Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> writes:

Jason,

I think this means that we have to trap a window manager
message/hint/whatever that tells us that an application is requesting
to be minimized.  It is up to our internal window manager to then
perform the minimization and report that to the app that the
minimization has been performed.

Can anyone find some information about how this is implemented?  It
sounds fairly simple, so a quick example from somewhere could probably
help me get it done quickly.

Harold

Jason Dufair wrote:

Andrew DeFaria <ADeFaria@Salira.com> writes:

I wouldn't call it a fix, rather a default configuration. I think you
can put the following in your .emacs file:

(global-set-key "\C-z" 'suspend-emacs-or-iconify-fram)

I don't seem to have a 'suspend-emacs-or-iconify-frame. When I call
'suspend-emacs, I get "Suspending an emacs running under X makes no
sense". Thanks for the suggestion. C-z does work under Linux for me,
but no luck here. C-z does have the effect of making the cursor hollow,
however. I suspect whatever tricks are being done with -multiwindow
prevent iconify from behaving correctly. Thanks for checking into it.