RE: xterm -ls -e

This is because you are actually using two shells.  The first is what is run
by xterm and honors the -ls.  The second is run from the first and does not.
What should work is putting a -l after the bash you are running as the
command (ie. run xterm -ls -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg yellow -bg
black -e /usr/bin/bash -l).  I hope that helps.