Re: connecting to rh gdm

Bill,

Bill McCormick wrote:

I'm able to successfully connect to gdm Xserver on my RH Linux box but I see
this ...

$ XWin -query 192.168.212.1  -lesspointer -clipboard -xf86config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86config
Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Looks like -clipboard is having trouble connecting, which it almost always does when using XDMCP. Are you running any other X Clients in your startup script on Windows? Did you use startxdmcp.bat as a base? It would be a good idea to use startxdmcp.bat as a base since it doesn't start local X Clients.

Also, I'd rather not use the resources on the Linux Box yet still have this
functionality. So, is there a way I can accomplish this without actually
being in runmode 5 on the Linux box?

What resources? If you are referring to the overhead of running just xdm, then yes, you can do this without running xdm. However, the resources associated with your full remote session are always going to be used, if you want a full remote session.

If what you want to do is just display some remote clients using the local window manager (XWin -multiwindow), then you can do this with ssh and X11 tunneling:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

If you still want the full remote desktop (e.g. Gnome, KDE, etc.), then you start XWin without -multiwindow, -rootless, and -query (e.g. XWin -nodecoration -lesspointer) and without a local window manager (e.g. twm, mwm, etc.). You launch an xterm (from your script) and either configure it to run ssh, or you manually ssh to the remote machine. Finally, you run the script on your remote machine that starts the window manager of your choice. Some examples from debian would be 'startkde', 'startgnome', etc. This still uses all of the resouces associated with running a full desktop login, but it does allow you to not run xdm on your linux machine.

I don't have the exact procedure for automating the launch of ssh from xterm, but I think an example was in an email sent the list today, so you can search the mailing list archives for 'ssh' and 'xterm'.

Good luck,

Harold

Thanks,