Re: Problem uninstalling XFree86-bin-icons

Setup Dudes,

Okay, I did some more debugging.

Changes and Scenario
====================
1) I copied the text out of /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-bin-icons.sh and stuck it in /etc/postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh to get rid of a couple levels of indirection. I changed the script just slightly so that it always tries to create icons.

2) I ran the script from setup.exe, it gave the following in /var/log/:

+ . /etc/X11/icon-list
+++ cygpath -A -P

3) I edited /etc/X11/icon-list and made two copies of the line that calls cygpath:

TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath -A -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"
TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath -A -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"

4) I reran setup.exe and got the following in /var/log:

+ . /etc/X11/icon-list
+++ cygpath -A -P

5) cygpath -A -P is supposed to return something like the following:

/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs

6) I figured that maybe cygpath was having a problem determining the path for All Users (maybe a permissions problem when run from setup, I don't know), so I changed /etc/X11/icon-list to the following:

TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"

7) I reran the script again in setup.exe and got the following in /var/log:

+ . /etc/X11/icon-list
+++ cygpath -P

So, the change to icon-list was picked up, but either cygpath or bash is still crashing.

8) This time I changed /etc/X11/icon-list to the following, getting rid of the use of "cygpath" altoghether:

TOPFOLDER="/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86"

9) I reran this script in setup.exe and got successful output in /var/log/setup.log.full. Note that all previous times had output from postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh in a temporary file with a name along the lines of /var/log/setup.log.postinstall%GARBAGE%. So, the script obviously completed this time, where it was hanging previously.

Looks to me like the problem is generic to cygpath when called in certain ways from setup.exe. I will elaborate on this shortly.

Harold

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Chris,

Well, what I can see is that setup.exe is leaving dead bash and sh processes around if you cancel this. The post-install and pre-remove scripts both work fine if run from a bash prompt.

I changed /etc/postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh to pass '-x' to sh and looked at the log file in /var/log/, which I have been asked to do. It contained exactly the following:

+ /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-bin-icons.sh

/etc/postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh isn't all that complex either (the following differs from the official package, I have stripped the comment line, just in case it was causing a problem):

#!/bin/sh -x

/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-bin-icons.sh

Setup still borked on the above script. Note that /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-bin-icons.sh does have execute permissions and /var/log/setup.log.full.

I have tried changing the postinstall script to the following, just in case there was some sort of side-effect of running our bash script from an sh-launched bash shell (not likely, but wanted to rule it out):

#!/bin/bash -x

bash -c /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-bin-icons.sh

I guess the next step is that I am going to add some print-outs to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-bin-icons.sh so that I can figure out if it is looping endlessly or trying to return.

Harold

Chris January wrote:

Setup (2.415) hangs when uninstalling XFree86-bin-icons. What can I do to
find out why?

Chris

--
http://www.atomice.com