Re: Copy/Paste problems when contains non-ascii characters

Jay,

Your problem is that you are using Windows 95, which does not natively support unicode text. There is support in Cygwin/XFree86 for converting characters to unicode and back, but it only works on NT-based platforms (NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003).

The Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/Me Systems should allow the support to work properly, but we would have to change the unicode support detection slightly for this to take effect. Have you installed the unicode support for Windows 95? More information and a link to download are here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devnotes/winprog/microsoft_layer_for_unicode_on_windows_95_98_me_systems.asp

Or, the tiny url to the same thing:

http://tinyurl.com/qo9n

Hmm... just did some more checking... using the Layer for Unicode support will not be trivial. Kensuke may be interested in it as an alternative to using libiconv on Windows 95/98/Me.

As for why you text copying is truncated vs. not appearing at all, I suspect that Mozilla 1.2.x to 1.4 changed the format of some clipboard data from plain text to INCR. But that would only make sense if you have only tried this with the versions of XFree86-xserv that don't crash when they see an INCR clipboard format. If you didn't try this until recently, then that would explain your problem. You should at least be thankful that XWin.exe doesn't core dump like it used to in these cases.

In summary, your problem is known, it isn't trivial to solve, and the change from Mozilla 1.2.x to 1.4 is due to a change that they made, not something that we did. Also, your issue is already known to be not an issue on NT-based platforms, so the Microsoft answer to this problem would be "The Cygwin/XFree86 has identified this to be a problem with the products listed above.", with the idea being that they might fix it or they might not, but perhaps you should consider upgrading to a more recent version of Windows. In other words, you are more likely to get your problem fixed by spending $200 of your own money upgrading to Windows XP, versus me spending $2000 of my time to cobble together a fix for Windows 95/98/Me. That's just being honest.

Thanks for testing,

Harold

Jay Smith wrote:
Hi,

My copy/paste behavior in MOZILLA running on RedHat 8 LINUX has gone from bad to worse when I upgraded the Mozilla from 1.2.x to 1.4.

Important: The Mozilla is LINUX Mozilla running on an RH8 server. I am sitting at a Windows 95 PC, using Cygwin/XFree86 to run an X session on the PC. I am sitting at a PC, not at a Linux box. (Most people don't get this and thus reply using wrong assumptions.)

WHEN RUNNING Linux Mozilla ON PC USING CYGWIN:

(old) MOZ 1.2.x: When I copied text that contained a non-ascii typical European or Scandinavian character from an existing email and PASTED INTO A MOZILLA MAIL COMPOSE window, the text up to, but NOT including, the character would copy AND PASTE. That was bad, but at least you got something (the text before the character).

(new) MOZ 1.4: However, now, if the copy contains such a character, NOTHING gets pasted into A MOZILLA MAIL COMPOSE window. It changed from partial to nothing.

I AM still able to paste full and properly into windows applications from Mozilla, including such common European and Scandinvian characters.

Because there has been no change to the Cygwin installation on this PC, I
don't think the *change* in the problem is related to that. However, the root of the problem seems to be related to Cygwin.

By contrast, IF I AM WORKING DIRECTLY/PHYSICALLY ON THE LINUX SERVER:

Mozilla 1.2.x or 1.4: I *CAN* fully and properly cut/paste the very same text.

MY ENVIRONMENT IS:

Server: Red Hat Linux 8

Workstation: Windows 95 running Cygwin ....
(I think these are the version numbers of what I have installed; they were as of April 2003 and I don't think I have installed any new Cygwin stuff on this machine since then -- but I don't know how to find out what versions I am running. How do I?)
XFree86-base 4.2.0-1
-lib 4.2.0-5
-xserv 4.2.0-28
-xwinclip 4.2.0-8