RE: Two problems with X

Hi José,

Check the following FAQ, the answer is obviously there...

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-solaris-fonts

The FAQ says:

4.10. Why does Cygwin/XFree86 not display the XDM login prompt on Solaris when I try to open an XDMCP session with a remote Solaris machine?

See also Q: 4.11. and Q: 6.16.

[David Dawson] For whatever reason, certain versions of Solaris need fonts that are not provided by Cygwin/XFree86; the result is that you may see the Solaris background tile and the hourglass cursor, but the XDM login prompt will never appear. The simplest solution is to point Cygwin/XFree86 at the font server that is usually running on the Solaris machine. You'll need a command line similar to the following to start your XDMCP session and to connect to the Solaris font server:

XWin.exe -query solaris_hostname_or_ip_address -fp tcp/solaris_hostname_or_ip_address:7100

Note: The -fp parameter is a general X Server parameter, it is not specific to Cygwin/XFree86; therefore, the -fp is documented in the X Server documentation. For additional information about fonts, see Fonts in XFree86.

The standard port number for a font server is 7100, however, you may need to ask your system administrator what the font server port number is if you cannot connect to a font server on port 7100. It is also possible that your Solaris machine is not running a font server, in which case you will need to consult your Solaris documentation for instructions on how to run a font server.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan Primeau