Re: http://lesstif.sourceforge.net/INSTALL.html#compile_Windows

Brian,

Actually, Nicholas Wourms and I got a shared build working. He has posted the package for me to review and I will try to upload it tonight if I get a chance. He also included bug fixes that are in lesstif's CVS, so mwm's 'Close' menu item seems to be working again.

Harold

Brian Ford wrote:

Windows

On windows using Cygwin, U/WIN or Interix, LessTif must be built as
static libraries.  Because, one of the biggest issues with X on Win32 is
the moronic DLL format. Specifically - it is not possible to export
data from a Win32 DLL in a form that can be used to statically
initialize another global variable. Data access from a DLL requires at
least one pointer indirection, and hence executable code. This is why
X11R6 doesn't have DLLs for Xt/Xmu/Xaw (and Motif) on Win32.

Not exactly true on Cygwin anymore because of the following hack:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00173.html

I am still trying to shake out a working lesstif DLL from this, but I
thought I would ask two questions that might help speed this up.

Does anyone remember what variables specifically this effects?  Is
_XtInherit() the only one?

As an intermediate step, I am trying a static lesstif build with the new
shared Xt/Xmu, etc.  I am getting the followin message on startup of an
application that previously worked fine:

Warning: XmManager ClassInitialize: XmeTraitSet failed

Error: attempt to add non-widget child "DropSiteManager" to parent "he"
which supports only widgets

Still digging in lesstif source to find out what this means and where to
go from here, but any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.