no key input

My startxwin.sh gives me the root window and an xterm window in it.
I login to a remote host from this xterm after doing xhost for it.
>From there, I invoke xterm specifying the local PC as the display.
Now I have two xterm windows here: one invoked locally, the other
invoked from the remote host.

TWM is my window manager. My preference is to show the IconManager
at the upper right hand corner of the root, in which I can move
from one icon to the next by pressing the keyboard combo specified
in the ~/.twmrc as "f.downiconmgr" or "f.upiconmgr". If I press
the key combo, no matter where the mouse cursor is at, it jumps
to the IconManager area and points to the window that has the keyboard
focus at the time. As I press the "up" or the "down" key, the mouse
cursor jumps to one icon up or down, and the keyboard focus moves
to the corresponding window at once. This is the equivalent of
MS Windows' Alt-Tab for me in X(no autoraise by default though).
This is how I move the keyboard focus from one window to another.
I can't live without this as I have been doing this for over 10
years now. I'm so accustomed to it that I sometimes do it in MS
Windows.

Now, with the latest Cygwin install, I still can move the keyboard
focus by pressing the "up" or "down" key, thus I can toggle the
keyboard focus between the two xterm windows I mentioned above.
But, the xterm that is locally executed(cygwin xterm) doesnt take
any key input unless I move the mouse cursor over the xterm
window area, while the one that is remotely executed can take key
inputs as usual without moving a mouse(the mouse cursor stays in
the IconManager area).

Until the one before the latest(XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-18?), this was
not the case. I was able to move around AND TYPE. Something that
was added since then broke this capability.