XFree86 for cygwin installation hanging

Hello,

I have been trying to load XFree86 for Cygwin, using the Cygwin web installation. I have a Compaq Athlon 1700 based machine, running Windows XP home edition.

Cygwin itself is fine. All components run perfectly, except XFree86 and anything that depends on it. The download ends in a message that it is unable to find file ""; pressing OK gets the installation underway but it then hangs at varying points in the installation. I have uninstalled before each attempt. Also, when I shut down Windows, the post-install programme is still running and has to be stopped. Invoking XWin, with any combination of arguments results in the background coming up but nothing else.

What should I do? Try downloading and installing from hard disk?

Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give me.

Paul Thomas