Re: Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org

Daniel,

Armbrust, Daniel C. wrote:

Harold,

I have been lurking on this list for a while now. I don't know much about XFree86, or the politics, or any history. But I read the threads that led up to your decision. I applaud you. You asked for something completely reasonable, and (pardon the language) David Dawes came off as a complete jackass.

I have worked with Jakarta Ant, the Eclipse Project, and Jakarta Lucene to varying degrees. And I have never seen someone on any of those mailing lists get treated like you were. And, as an example of a well functioning open source project, when someone new came to lucene, he turned in some quality patches over the course of about a month. About the equivalent to what I see you commit on this mailing list in a week. And they made him a full fledged committer. No problems, no insults, no lie detector tests. They voted, and it was done.

That it how it is supposed to work.

The XFree86 organization looks like it is being run by a bunch of power hungry fools.

Thanks for all of your time and work,

No problem. I enjoy it.

Thanks for your support.