Re: freetype2, fontconfig, and rebuild of dependent packages comingshortly

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Brian Ford wrote:
> > Well, I sent this last night before the new lesstif release, but somehow
> > it evaporated.
> >
> Nope, didn't evaporate... I even replied to it :)

Sorry, Harold.  I should have checked the archives first.  Strangely
though, neither made it to my inbox.

>From that (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00375.html) reply:

> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> >>I ran into an issue at the last minute when I looked at the LessTif
> >>rebuild and realized that it was not using freetype and fontconfig
> >>because it was looking in /usr/X11R6/bin for freetype-config and
> >>fontconfig-config, when freetype-config has moved to /usr/bin and
> >>fontconfig-config was will altogether.
> >>
> >I thought we had decided to disable this support.  Did that change?
> >
>I'm sorry... Nicholas and I were talking about this off-list and he
>enabled it and seemed to think it worked okay, so I took his word for it
>and enabled it. I can always disable it if it turns out to be horribly
>broken.

Yeah, it would be great to have those conversations on-list next time.  I
assume they were just inseparably mixed in with the shared lesstif
conversion discussion, which I guess was ok to have off list (although
it might have been nice to see that too).  So, ok.

I wasn't as worried about it being broken :) as I was this
(from http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-09/msg00348.html):

> My other concern is the additional link time dependencies this will add.
> (Obviously, we would need to add additional setup.hint dependencies
> too.) libtool enabled applications should just get it right via the
> libXm.la file, but non libtool aware applications might break at compile
> time if their configure scripts or the like are not smart enough.
[snip]
> Current Cygwin 1.3.22/Xfree 4.2.x libXm.la (0.93.41):
>
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lXt -lXp -lXext -lX11'
>
> Possible new Cygwin 1.5.x/Xfree 4.3.x libXm.la (0.93.91):
>
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lXt -lXp -lXext -lX11
> -lfreetype -lXft -lXrender -lfontconfig'

Our apps happen to be examples of those who don't use libtool and don't
yet have configure scripts smart enough to take this into account.  No big
deal here; I'll fix them.  But, I'm sure this change will generate some list
traffic when apps that used to compile OOTB now don't.

We'll see...

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer