XWin works on Win2K but not on some WinXP clients

My co-worker has been using Cygwin XFree86 to XWin to his linux system from
his Win2K client. Very cool. He convinced me to start using Cygwin. So I
think it would be cool to be able to have our two WinXP clients XWin to our
department server with RedHat 9 Linux.

I meticulously followed the linux doc project "how to" on configuring a Xwin
Host. I have configured font server on the linux host. My co-worker's Win2K
box can Xwin to the linux box just fine (gets a login prompt, and then the
linux desktop). However, we the two WinXP boxes that can't. We get the
checkerboard screen and no login prompt everytime. All Win boxes were set up
with a full install of Cygwin (install all, not default). All Win boxes are
the same hardware configuration, so the only difference I can discern is a
different OS.  My co-worker insists that although he has been using Cygwin
for months, he did not do any special configuration on his Win2K box. What
gives? The command used on all clients is the same in each case

XWin -querry <IPaddress of the linux box> or

XWin :0 -querry <IPaddress of the linux box>

There is tons of docs on how to set up the host, but very little on the
client. The implication being that its simple stupid and there is not a lot
of configuration needed to be done. I even downloaded a third party XWindows
client StarNet X-Win32. It has lots of fancy menus that let you specify
querry, indirect, broadcast etc. None of those modes allow the WinXP boxes
to connect, my co-worker can XWin into his Linux system and our department
linux server all day long.

I'm at ropes end, anyone have suggestions? The mail archives don't seem to
address the peculiar situation where some people can login and some can't.