Re: XWin works on Win2K but not on some WinXP clients

I took the laptop and plugged it into the same damn switch that the linux
box is hanging off of. No dice, checkerboard screen, no login prompt.

I asked my co-worker to login to the linux box using the same Win2K system
via the standard Cygwin prompt:  "XWin -query <linux box IP> -nodecoration
-lesspointer"
He could, and proceded to taunt me by doing various tasks within the Cygwin
window. So all this time the Win2K can login to the linux box as I have
claimed.

We are not running NAT. All firewalls are turned off completely (linux and
Win). We are all on the same network segment, and all have the same IP scope
(i.e. 137.x.x.x).

I tried to get debug running as requested but, as a new linux user its not
straightforward to figure out how to stop kdm/gdm/xdm or whatever RH9 uses,
and restart it again. I looked at the post you cited and searched the net
also. "/etc/init.d/xdm stop" returns command not found. I tried several
iterations but no avail. So finally I did "xdm -debug 10 -no daemon", got a
fatal server error, did some grep's and here is the followoing:

[kdw@gaia xdm]# ps -ef |grep kdm
root      1829  1761  0 10:39 pts/0    00:00:00 grep kdm
[kdw@gaia xdm]# ps -ef | grep xdm
root      1831  1761  0 10:39 pts/0    00:00:00 grep xdm
[kdw@gaia xdm]# ps -ef | grep gdm
root      1033     1  0 08:35 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gdm-binary
-nodaemon
root      1084  1033  0 08:35 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gdm-binary
-nodaemon
root      1459  1084  0 09:17 ?        00:00:06 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -auth
/var/gdm/:0.Xauth vt7
gdm       1468  1084  0 09:17 ?        00:00:03 /usr/bin/gdmgreeter
root      1833  1761  0 10:39 pts/0    00:00:00 grep gdm
[kdw@gaia xdm]#

I have included some log files as requested. Its pretty much greek to me,
with exception of the very first CAT I did of "xdm-errors". Looks
suspicious.

[kdw@gaia log]# cat xdm-errors
xdm error (pid 3748): error 98 binding socket address 177

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

xdm error (pid 3748): server unexpectedly died
xdm error (pid 3748): Server for display :0 can't be started, session
disabled

GDM.conf

# existing sessions and will only restart gdm after all users log out)
#
# You can also use the gdm-restart and gdm-safe-restart scripts which just
# do the above for you.
#
# Have fun! - George

[daemon]
# Automatic login, if true the first local screen will automatically logged
# in as user as set with AutomaticLogin key.
AutomaticLoginEnable=false
AutomaticLogin=
# Timed login, useful for kiosks.  Log in a certain user after a certain
# amount of time
TimedLoginEnable=false
TimedLogin=
TimedLoginDelay=30
# A comma separated list of users that will be logged in without having
# to authenticate on local screens (not over xdmcp).  Note that 'root'
# is ignored and will always have to authenticate.
LocalNoPasswordUsers=
# If you are having trouble with using a single server for a long time and
# want gdm to kill/restart the server, turn this on
# Note: I've made this default to true now because there seem to be some
# issues ranging from some things not being reset in the X server to
# pam issues with the slave.  It is likely that this feature may be removed
# in the future and we're always going to do server restarts.
AlwaysRestartServer=true
# The gdm configuration program that is run from the login screen, you
should
# probably leave this alone
Configurator=/usr/sbin/gdmsetup --disable-sound --disable-crash-dialog
GnomeDefaultSession=/usr/share/gnome/default.session
# The chooser program.  Must output the chosen host on stdout, probably you
# should leave this alone
Chooser=/usr/bin/gdmchooser
# Default path to set.  The profile scripts will likely override this
DefaultPath=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
# Default path for root.  The profile scripts will likely override this
RootPath=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X
11R6/bin
DisplayInitDir=/etc/X11/gdm/Init
# Greeter for local (non-xdmcp) logins.  Change gdmlogin to gdmgreeter to
# get the new graphical greeter.
Greeter=/usr/bin/gdmgreeter
#Uncomment this for the regular greeter
#Greeter=/usr/bin/gdmlogin --disable-sound --disable-crash-dialog
# Greeter for xdmcp logins, usually you want a less graphically intensive
# greeter here so it's better to leave this with gdmlogin
RemoteGreeter=/usr/bin/gdmgreeter
# User and group that gdm should run as.  Probably should be gdm and gdm and
# you should create these user and group.  Anyone found running this as
# someone too privilaged will get a kick in the ass.  This should have
# access to only the gdm directories and files.
User=gdm
Group=gdm
# To try to kill all clients started at greeter time or in the Init script.
# doesn't always work, only if those clients have a window of their own
KillInitClients=true
LogDir=/var/log/gdm
# You should probably never change this value unless you have a weird setup
PidFile=/var/run/gdm.pid
PostSessionScriptDir=/etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/
PreSessionScriptDir=/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/
# Distributions:  If you have some script that runs an X server in say
# VGA mode, allowing a login, could you please send it to me?
FailsafeXServer=
# if X keeps crashing on us we run this script.  The default one does a
bunch
# of cool stuff to figure out what to tell the user and such and can
# run an X configuration program.
XKeepsCrashing=/etc/X11/gdm/XKeepsCrashing
# Reboot, Halt and suspend commands, you can add different commands
# separated by a semicolon and gdm will use the first one it can find
RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -r now
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/poweroff;/sbin/poweroff;/sbin/shutdown -h
now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -h now
SuspendCommand=
# Probably should not touch the below this is the standard setup
ServAuthDir=/var/gdm
SessionDir=/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/
# Better leave this blank and HOME will be used.  You can use syntax ~/
below
# to indicate home directory of the user
UserAuthDir=
# Fallback if home directory not writable
UserAuthFBDir=/tmp
UserAuthFile=.Xauthority
# The X server to use if we can't figure out what else to run.
StandardXServer=/usr/X11R6/bin/X
# The maximum number of flexible X servers to run.
FlexibleXServers=5
# the X nest command
Xnest=/usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest -name Xnest
# Automatic VT allocation.  Right now only works on Linux.  This way
# we force X to use specific vts.  turn VTAllocation to false if this
# is causing problems.
FirstVT=7
VTAllocation=true

[security]
# If any distributions ship with this one off, they should be shot
# this is only local, so it's only for say kiosk use, when you
# want to minimize possibility of breakin
AllowRoot=true
# If you want to be paranoid, turn this one off
AllowRemoteRoot=true
# This will allow remote timed login
AllowRemoteAutoLogin=false
# 0 is the most anal, 1 allows group write permissions, 2 allows all write
permissions
RelaxPermissions=0
RetryDelay=1
# Maximum size of a file we wish to read.  This makes it hard for a user to
DoS us
# by using a large file.
UserMaxFile=65536
# Maximum size of the session file.  This is larger because it matters less
as we
# never keep it all in memory.  Just has an upper limit so that we don't go
into too
# long of a loop
SessionMaxFile=524388

# XDMCP is the protocol that allows remote login.  If you want to log into
# gdm remotely (I'd never turn this on on open network, use ssh for such
# remote usage that).  You can then run X with -query <thishost> to log in,
# or -indirect <thishost> to run a chooser.  Look for the 'Terminal' server
# type at the bottom of this config file.
[xdmcp]
# Distributions: Ship with this off.  It is never a safe thing to leave
# out on the net.  Alternatively you can set up /etc/hosts.allow and
# /etc/hosts.deny to only allow say local access.
Enable=true
# Honour indirect queries, we run a chooser for these, and then redirect
# the user to the chosen host.  Otherwise we just log the user in locally.
HonorIndirect=true
# Maximum pending requests
MaxPending=8
MaxPendingIndirect=8
# Maximum open XDMCP sessions at any point in time
MaxSessions=120
# Maximum wait times
MaxWait=15
MaxWaitIndirect=15
# How many times can a person log in from a single host.  Usually better to
# keep at 1 to fend off DoS attacks by running many logins from a single
# host
DisplaysPerHost=5
# The port.  177 is the standard port so better keep it that way
Port=177
# Willing script, none is shipped and by default we'll send
# hostname system id.  But if you supply something here, the
# output of this script will be sent as status of this host so that
# the chooser can display it.  You could for example send load,
# or mail details for some user, or some such.
Willing=/etc/X11/gdm/Xwilling

[gui]
# The 'theme'.  By default we're using the default gtk theme
# Of course assuming that gtk got installed in the same prefix,
# if not change this.
GtkRC=/usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
# Maximum size of an icon, larger icons are scaled down
MaxIconWidth=128
MaxIconHeight=128

[greeter]
# Greeter has a nice title bar that the user can move
TitleBar=true
# Configuration is available from the system menu of the greeter
ConfigAvailable=true
# Face browser is enabled.  This only works currently for the
# standard greeter as it is not yet enabled in the graphical greeter.
Browser=false
# The default picture in the browser
DefaultFace=/usr/share/pixmaps/nobody.png
# These are things excluded from the face browser, not from logging in
Exclude=bin,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,
gdm,postgres,pvm,rpm
# As an alternative to the above this is the minimum uid to show
MinimalUID=500
# If user or user.png exists in this dir it will be used as his picture
GlobalFaceDir=/usr/share/faces/
# Icon we use
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/gdm.png
# File which contains the locale we show to the user.  Likely you want to
use
# the one shipped with gdm and edit it.  It is not a standard locale.alias
file,
# although gdm will be able to read a standard locale.alias file as well.
LocaleFile=/etc/X11/gdm/locale.alias
# Logo shown in the standard greeter
## Logo=/usr/share/pixmaps/gdm-foot-logo.png
Logo=
## nice RH logo for the above line:
/usr/share/pixmaps/redhat/shadowman-200.png
# The standard greeter should shake if a user entered the wrong username or
# password.  Kind of cool looking
Quiver=true
# The system menu is shown in the greeter
SystemMenu=true
# Note to distributors, if you wish to have a different Welcome string
# and wish to have this translated you can have entries such as
# Welcome[cs]=Vitejte na %n
# Just make sure the string is in utf-8
Welcome=Welcome to %n
# Don't allow user to move the standard greeter window.  Only makes sense
# if TitleBar is on
LockPosition=true
# Set a position rather then just centering the window.  If you enter
# negative values for the position it is taken as an offset from the
# right or bottom edge.
SetPosition=false
PositionX=0
PositionY=0
# Xinerama screen we use to display the greeter on.  Not for true
# multihead, currently only works for Xinerama.
XineramaScreen=0
# Background settings for the standard greeter:
# Type can be 0=None, 1=Image, 2=Color
BackgroundType=2
BackgroundImage=
BackgroundScaleToFit=true
BackgroundColor=#27408b
# XDMCP session should only get a color, this is the sanest setting since
# you don't want to take up too much bandwidth
BackgroundRemoteOnlyColor=true
# Program to run to draw the background in the standard greeter.  Perhaps
# something like an xscreensaver hack or some such.
BackgroundProgram=
## red hat logo program
## BackgroundProgram=/usr/bin/xsri --redhat-login --run
# if this is true then the background program is run always, otherwise
# it is only run when the BackgroundType is 0 (None)
RunBackgroundProgramAlways=false
# Show the chooser (you can choose a specific saved gnome session) session
ShowGnomeChooserSession=false
# Show the Failsafe sessions.  These are much MUCH nicer (focus for xterm
for
# example) and more failsafe then those supplied by scripts so distros
should
# use this rather then just running an xterm from a script.
ShowGnomeFailsafeSession=false
ShowXtermFailsafeSession=false
# Always use 24 hour clock no matter what the locale.
Use24Clock=false
# Use circles in the password field.  Looks kind of cool actually
UseCirclesInEntry=false
# These two keys are for the new greeter.  Circles is the standard
# shipped theme
GraphicalTheme=Bluecurve
GraphicalThemeDir=/usr/share/gdm/themes/

# The chooser is what's displayed when a user wants an indirect XDMCP
# session
[chooser]
# Default image for hosts
DefaultHostImg=/usr/share/pixmaps/nohost.png
# Directory with host images, they are named by the hosts: host or host.png
HostImageDir=/usr/share/hosts/
# Time we scan for hosts (well only the time we tell the user we are
# scanning actually)
ScanTime=3
# A comma separated lists of hosts to automatically add (if they answer to
# a query of course).  You can use this to reach hosts that broadcast cannot
# reach.
Hosts=
# Broadcast a query to get all hosts on the current network that answer
Broadcast=true

[debug]
# This will enable debugging into the syslog, usually not neccessary
# and it creates a LOT of spew of random stuff to the syslog.  However it
# can be useful in determining when something is going very wrong.
Enable=false

[servers]
# These are the standard servers.  You can add as many you want here
# and they will always be started.  Each line must start with a unique
# number and that will be the display number of that server.  Usually just
# the 0 server is used.
0=Standard
#1=Standard
# Note the VTAllocation and FirstVT keys on linux.  Don't add any vt<number>
# arguments if VTAllocation is on, and set FirstVT to be the first vt
# available that your gettys don't grab (gettys are usually dumb and grab
# even a vt that has already been taken).  Using 7 will work pretty much for
# all linux distributions.  VTAllocation is not currently implemented on
# anything but linux since I don't own any non-linux systems.  Feel free to
# send patches.  X servers will just not get any extra arguments then.
#
#Note: If you want to run an X terminal you could add an X server such as
this
#0=Terminal -query serverhostname
# or for a chooser (optionally serverhostname could be localhost)
#0=Terminal -indirect serverhostname

# Definition of the standard X server.
[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X
flexible=true

# To use this server type you should add -query host or -indirect host
# to the command line
[server-Terminal]
name=Terminal server
# Add -terminate to make things behave more nicely
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -terminate
# Make this not appear in the flexible servers (we need extra params
# anyway, and terminate would be bad for xdmcp)
flexible=false
# Not local, we do not handle the logins for this X server
handled=false
[kdw@gaia gdm]#

XFree86.log.1

(II) ATI(0): Supported Future Video Modes:
(II) ATI(0): #0: hsize: 2048  vsize 1536  refresh: 75  vid: 20449
(II) ATI(0): #1: hsize: 1600  vsize 1200  refresh: 75  vid: 20393
(II) ATI(0): #2: hsize: 1856  vsize 1392  refresh: 75  vid: 20425
(II) ATI(0): #3: hsize: 1792  vsize 1344  refresh: 75  vid: 20417
(II) ATI(0): #4: hsize: 1600  vsize 1200  refresh: 85  vid: 22953
(II) ATI(0): #5: hsize: 1280  vsize 1024  refresh: 85  vid: 39297
(II) ATI(0): #6: hsize: 1024  vsize 768  refresh: 85  vid: 22881
(II) ATI(0): #7: hsize: 800  vsize 600  refresh: 85  vid: 22853
(II) ATI(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
(II) ATI(0): clock: 297.0 MHz   Image Size:  393 x 295 mm
(II) ATI(0): h_active: 1920  h_sync: 2064  h_sync_end 2288 h_blank_end 2640
h_border: 0
(II) ATI(0): v_active: 1440  v_sync: 1441  v_sync_end 1444 v_blanking: 1500
v_border: 0
(II) ATI(0): Ranges: V min: 50  V max: 160 Hz, H min: 30  H max: 121 kHz,
PixClock max 360 MHz
(II) ATI(0): Monitor name: GatewayVX1120
(II) ATI(0): Serial No: 101060532
(--) ATI(0): ATI 3D Rage XL or XC graphics controller detected.
(--) ATI(0): Chip type 4752 "GR", version 7, foundry TSMC, class 0, revision
0x00.
(--) ATI(0): PCI bus interface detected;  block I/O base is 0xDC00.
(--) ATI(0): ATI Mach64 adapter detected.
(!!) ATI(0): For information on using the multimedia capabilities
        of this adapter, please see http://gatos.sf.net.
(--) ATI(0): Internal RAMDAC (subtype 1) detected.
(==) ATI(0): RGB weight 888
(==) ATI(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) ATI(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) ATI(0): Using Mach64 accelerator CRTC.
(II) ATI(0): Storing hardware cursor image at 0xFC7FFC00.
(II) ATI(0): Using 8 MB linear aperture at 0xFC000000.
(!!) ATI(0): Virtual resolutions will be limited to 8191 kB
 due to linear aperture size and/or placement of hardware cursor image area.
(II) ATI(0): Using Block 0 MMIO aperture at 0xFDEFF400.
(II) ATI(0): Using Block 1 MMIO aperture at 0xFDEFF000.
(==) ATI(0): Write-combining range (0xfc000000,0x800000)
(II) ATI(0): MMIO write caching enabled.
(--) ATI(0): 8192 kB of SGRAM (2:1) 32-bit detected (using 8191 kB).
(WW) ATI(0): Cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer.
(II) ATI(0): Engine XCLK 62.353 MHz;  Refresh rate code 1.
(--) ATI(0): Internal programmable clock generator detected.
(--) ATI(0): Reference clock 157.5/11 (14.318) MHz.
(II) ATI(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 30.00-121.00 kHz
(II) ATI(0): Monitor0: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-160.00 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Maximum clock: 124.00 MHz
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1792x1344" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1792x1344" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "896x672" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1856x1392" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1856x1392" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "928x696" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1920x1200" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (width too large for virtual
size)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual
size)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (width too large for virtual
size)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (width too large for virtual
size)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (width too large for virtual
size)
(II) ATI(0): Not using default mode "1152x768" (width too large for virtual
size)
(--) ATI(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
(**) ATI(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 94.5 MHz, 68.7 kHz, 85.0 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "1024x768"   94.50  1024 1072 1168 1376  768 769 772
808 +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0): *Default mode "800x600": 56.3 MHz, 53.7 kHz, 85.1 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   56.30  800 832 896 1048  600 601 604 631
+hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0): *Default mode "640x480": 74.2 MHz, 85.9 kHz, 85.1 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x480"   74.25  640 672 752 864  480 480 482 505
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz, 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "1024x768"   78.80  1024 1040 1136 1312  768 769 772
800 +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "1024x768": 75.0 MHz, 56.5 kHz, 70.1 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "1024x768"   75.00  1024 1048 1184 1328  768 771 777
806 -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "1024x768"   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777
806 -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "1024x768": 44.9 MHz, 35.5 kHz, 87.1 Hz (I)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "1024x768"   44.90  1024 1032 1208 1264  768 768 776
817 interlace +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "960x720": 117.0 MHz, 90.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "960x720"  117.00  960 1024 1128 1300  720 720 722 750
doublescan -hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "928x696": 109.2 MHz, 86.4 kHz, 60.1 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "928x696"  109.15  928 976 1088 1264  696 696 698 719
doublescan -hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "896x672": 102.4 MHz, 83.7 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "896x672"  102.40  896 960 1060 1224  672 672 674 697
doublescan -hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "960x600": 115.0 MHz, 91.0 kHz, 72.8 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "960x600"  115.00  960 968 1048 1264  600 600 602 625
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "832x624": 57.3 MHz, 49.7 kHz, 74.6 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "832x624"   57.28  832 864 928 1152  624 625 628 667
-hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 114.8 MHz, 106.2 kHz, 85.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"  114.75  800 832 928 1080  600 600 602 625
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   49.50  800 816 896 1056  600 601 604 625
+hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 101.2 MHz, 93.8 kHz, 75.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"  101.25  800 832 928 1080  600 600 602 625
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 50.0 MHz, 48.1 kHz, 72.2 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   50.00  800 856 976 1040  600 637 643 666
+hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 94.5 MHz, 87.5 kHz, 70.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   94.50  800 832 928 1080  600 600 602 625
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 87.8 MHz, 81.2 kHz, 65.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   87.75  800 832 928 1080  600 600 602 625
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 40.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   40.00  800 840 968 1056  600 601 605 628
+hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 81.0 MHz, 75.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   81.00  800 832 928 1080  600 600 602 625
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "800x600": 36.0 MHz, 35.2 kHz, 56.2 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "800x600"   36.00  800 824 896 1024  600 601 603 625
+hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "700x525": 92.0 MHz, 93.9 kHz, 85.3 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "700x525"   92.00  700 732 828 980  525 525 527 550
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "700x525": 77.9 MHz, 81.5 kHz, 74.8 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "700x525"   77.90  700 732 892 956  525 526 532 545
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "700x525": 75.5 MHz, 77.0 kHz, 70.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "700x525"   75.50  700 732 828 980  525 525 527 550
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "700x525": 61.0 MHz, 64.9 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "700x525"   61.00  700 744 820 940  525 526 532 541
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x512": 78.8 MHz, 91.1 kHz, 85.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x512"   78.75  640 672 752 864  512 512 514 536
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x512": 67.5 MHz, 80.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x512"   67.50  640 648 720 844  512 512 514 533
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x512": 54.0 MHz, 64.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x512"   54.00  640 664 720 844  512 512 514 533
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x480": 36.0 MHz, 43.3 kHz, 85.0 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x480"   36.00  640 696 752 832  480 481 484 509
-hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x480"   31.50  640 656 720 840  480 481 484 500
-hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 72.8 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x480"   31.50  640 664 704 832  480 489 491 520
-hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x480"   25.20  640 656 752 800  480 490 492 525
-hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x480": 54.0 MHz, 60.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x480"   54.00  640 688 744 900  480 480 482 500
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "720x400": 35.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.0 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "720x400"   35.50  720 756 828 936  400 401 404 446
-hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x400": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.1 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x400"   31.50  640 672 736 832  400 401 404 445
-hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "576x432": 60.8 MHz, 77.5 kHz, 85.2 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "576x432"   60.75  576 608 672 784  432 432 434 455
doublescan +hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "576x432": 54.0 MHz, 67.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "576x432"   54.00  576 608 672 800  432 432 434 450
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "640x350": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.1 Hz
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "640x350"   31.50  640 672 736 832  350 382 385 445
+hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "576x384": 32.5 MHz, 44.2 kHz, 54.8 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "576x384"   32.50  576 589 657 736  384 385 388 403
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "512x384": 47.2 MHz, 68.7 kHz, 85.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "512x384"   47.25  512 536 584 688  384 384 386 404
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "512x384": 39.4 MHz, 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "512x384"   39.40  512 520 568 656  384 384 386 400
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "512x384": 37.5 MHz, 56.5 kHz, 70.1 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "512x384"   37.50  512 524 592 664  384 385 388 403
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "512x384": 32.5 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "512x384"   32.50  512 524 592 672  384 385 388 403
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "512x384": 22.4 MHz, 35.5 kHz, 87.1 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "512x384"   22.45  512 516 604 632  384 384 388 409
interlace doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "416x312": 28.6 MHz, 49.7 kHz, 74.7 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "416x312"   28.64  416 432 464 576  312 312 314 333
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "400x300": 28.1 MHz, 53.7 kHz, 85.3 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "400x300"   28.15  400 416 448 524  300 300 302 315
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "400x300": 24.8 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.1 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "400x300"   24.75  400 408 448 528  300 300 302 312
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "400x300": 25.0 MHz, 48.1 kHz, 72.2 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "400x300"   25.00  400 428 488 520  300 318 321 333
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "400x300": 20.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "400x300"   20.00  400 420 484 528  300 300 302 314
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "400x300": 18.0 MHz, 35.2 kHz, 56.3 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "400x300"   18.00  400 412 448 512  300 300 301 312
doublescan +hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "320x240": 18.0 MHz, 43.3 kHz, 85.2 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "320x240"   18.00  320 348 376 416  240 240 242 254
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "320x240": 15.8 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "320x240"   15.75  320 328 360 420  240 240 242 250
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "320x240": 15.8 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 72.8 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "320x240"   15.75  320 332 352 416  240 244 245 260
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "320x240": 12.6 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.1 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "320x240"   12.60  320 328 376 400  240 245 246 262
doublescan -hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "360x200": 17.8 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.0 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "360x200"   17.75  360 378 414 468  200 200 202 223
doublescan -hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "320x200": 15.8 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.3 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "320x200"   15.75  320 336 368 416  200 200 202 222
doublescan -hsync +vsync
(**) ATI(0):  Default mode "320x175": 15.8 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.3 Hz (D)
(II) ATI(0): Modeline "320x175"   15.75  320 336 368 416  175 191 192 222
doublescan +hsync -vsync
(**) ATI(0): Display dimensions: (400, 300) mm
(**) ATI(0): DPI set to (65, 65)
(II) Loading sub module "xaa"
(II) LoadModule: "xaa"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libxaa.a
(II) Module xaa: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libramdac.a
(II) Module ramdac: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.a
(II) Module fb: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 ANSI C Emulation, version 0.2
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(II) do I need RAC?  No, I don't.
(II) resource ranges after preInit:
        [0] 0   0       0xfdeff000 - 0xfdefffff (0x1000) MS[B]
        [1] 0   0       0xfc000000 - 0xfcffffff (0x1000000) MS[B]
        [2] -1  0       0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) MX[B](B)
        [3] -1  0       0x00100000 - 0x3fefffff (0x3fe00000) MX[B]E(B)
        [4] -1  0       0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[B]
        [5] -1  0       0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[B]
        [6] -1  0       0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[B]
        [7] -1  0       0xfebf0000 - 0xfebfffff (0x10000) MX[B]
        [8] -1  0       0xfe1fe000 - 0xfe1fefff (0x1000) MX[B]
        [9] -1  0       0xfe1ff000 - 0xfe1fffff (0x1000) MX[B]
        [10] -1 0       0xfe4fe000 - 0xfe4fefff (0x1000) MX[B]
        [11] -1 0       0xfe4ff000 - 0xfe4fffff (0x1000) MX[B]
        [12] -1 0       0xfe6fe000 - 0xfe6fefff (0x1000) MX[B]
        [13] -1 0       0xfe6ff000 - 0xfe6fffff (0x1000) MX[B]
        [14] -1 0       0x3ffff000 - 0x3ffff3ff (0x400) MX[B]
        [15] -1 0       0xfdeff000 - 0xfdefffff (0x1000) MX[B](B)
        [16] -1 0       0xfc000000 - 0xfcffffff (0x1000000) MX[B](B)
        [17] 0  0       0x000a0000 - 0x000affff (0x10000) MS[B](OprU)
        [18] 0  0       0x000b0000 - 0x000b7fff (0x8000) MS[B](OprU)
        [19] 0  0       0x000b8000 - 0x000bffff (0x8000) MS[B](OprU)
        [20] 0  0       0x0000dc00 - 0x0000dcff (0x100) IS[B]
        [21] -1 0       0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
        [22] -1 0       0x00000000 - 0x000000ff (0x100) IX[B]
        [23] -1 0       0x0000ece0 - 0x0000ecff (0x20) IX[B]
        [24] -1 0       0x0000fc00 - 0x0000fc0f (0x10) IX[B]
        [25] -1 0       0x0000cce0 - 0x0000ccff (0x20) IX[B]
        [26] -1 0       0x0000dc00 - 0x0000dcff (0x100) IX[B](B)
        [27] 0  0       0x000003b0 - 0x000003bb (0xc) IS[B](OprU)
        [28] 0  0       0x000003c0 - 0x000003df (0x20) IS[B](OprU)
(==) ATI(0): Write-combining range (0xfc000000,0x800000)
(II) ATI(0): Largest offscreen areas (with overlaps):
(II) ATI(0):    1024 x 1279 rectangle at 0,768
(II) ATI(0):    768 x 1280 rectangle at 0,768
(II) ATI(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
        Screen to screen bit blits
        Solid filled rectangles
        8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
        Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
        Solid Lines
        Offscreen Pixmaps
        Setting up tile and stipple cache:
                32 128x128 slots
                10 256x256 slots
(==) ATI(0): Backing store disabled
(==) ATI(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) ATI(0): DPMS enabled
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
(**) DevInputMice: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
(**) Option "AlwaysCore"
(**) DevInputMice: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) DevInputMice: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) DevInputMice: Buttons: 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "DevInputMice" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
(II) DevInputMice: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
[kdw@gaia log]#

[kdw@gaia log]# cat gdm
cat: gdm: Is a directory
[kdw@gaia log]# cd gdm
[kdw@gaia gdm]# ls
:0.log  :0.log.1  :0.log.2  :0.log.3  :0.log.4
[kdw@gaia gdm]# cat :0.log

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.3.0-2)
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-3bigmem i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 27 February 2003
Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com

        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.20-20.9smp
(bhcompile@stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat
Linu
x 3.2.2-5)) #1 SMP Mon Aug 18 11:32:15 EDT 2003
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Nov 11 09:17:47 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
[kdw@gaia gdm]#

[kdw@gaia gdm]# cat :0.log.4

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.3.0-2)
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-3bigmem i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 27 February 2003
Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com

        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.20-20.9smp
(bhcompile@stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat
Linu
x 3.2.2-5)) #1 SMP Mon Aug 18 11:32:15 EDT 2003
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Nov  4 11:17:11 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
AUDIT: Tue Nov  4 16:22:01 2003: 1499 X: client 4 rejected from local host
[kdw@gaia gdm]#

[kdw@gaia log]# cat kdm.log