Re: XWin works on Win2K but not on some WinXP clients

On 2003.11.11 11:37, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Woellert, Kirk D. wrote:
>
> > We are not running NAT. All firewalls are turned off completely (linux and
> > Win). We are all on the same network segment, and all have the same IP scope
> > (i.e. 137.x.x.x).
> >
> > I tried to get debug running as requested but, as a new linux user its not
> > straightforward to figure out how to stop kdm/gdm/xdm or whatever RH9 uses,
> > and restart it again. I looked at the post you cited and searched the net
> > also. "/etc/init.d/xdm stop" returns command not found. I tried several
> > iterations but no avail. So finally I did "xdm -debug 10 -no daemon", got a
> > fatal server error, did some grep's and here is the followoing:
>
> maybe /etc/init.d./gdm stop

I'm running cygwin/xfree (on w2k) to RedHat, and I've found you need to do
'telinit 3' followed by 'telinit 5' as root from a console to get gdm to restart.

> > [debug]
> > # This will enable debugging into the syslog, usually not neccessary
> > # and it creates a LOT of spew of random stuff to the syslog.  However it
> > # can be useful in determining when something is going very wrong.
> > Enable=false
>
> Set this to true. Most likely gdm will create a logfile in
> /var/log/gdm

That's right, that change is the only thing I had to do on the RedHat side.
As to the log file, right again - here is what I have:

[root@linnie root]# ls -ltr /var/log/gdm
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Apr 23  2003 winnie.riede.org:0.log

Success, Willem Riede.