Re: Can't type in login window via XDMCP

Jae,

jae.ellers@exgate.tek.com wrote:

Hi folks,
First thanks to all who contribute.  Xfree on Cygwin has been great.
However, I was seeing 2Gb+ XWin.log files and felt I needed to update.  SO I
updated today and now I can't login via XDMCP.  Here's the command line I
use:

c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xwin -query zephyr.mydomain.com -from 192.168.1.4

The system I'm logging into is a RH ES2.1 server.  I've been using the same
setup for months now.

The problem is that I can't type in the login window.  Nothing appears.  The
only thing I can see getting thru is the Caps Lock, which I find very
strange.

Even if I start xwin and then twm and an xterm I can't type in the xterm.

I do see a message in /tmp/XWin.log:
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file

I am not sure I understand your problem. You are, of course, clicking in the text boxes where you type the user name and password, right? What sort of OS is the remote machine running?

Do I need a config file? I haven't used one before.

No, you do not need a config file.

I found this message:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00303.html and tested
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/XWin-4.3.0-20-Test01.exe.bz2
and I can login.  So it looks like the problem is in the new WaitFor.c code.

Actually, I really doubt it is a problem with WaitFor.c. The changes were made in 4.3.0-16 on or around 2003/10/04:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/server/changelog.html

The keyboard focus problem referred to in that mailing list message was actually due to problems with shared Xt/Xaw/Xaw6/LessTif libraries. That has just now been fixed. You could try updating your installation tomorrow (when the new packages hit the mirrors) and see if it fixes your problem; it might.