Re: security, cvs, was Re: interface bindings of x-server

Hi!

i`d like if discussion "unix domain socket vs.  127.0.0.1/TCP for local X connections" would be a complete separate discussion thread. could we separate this?

ok, it seems my thread has alreade become somewhat a separate one (the "was" in the subject line)   ;)

MY intention with this thread is , just to add feature to X-Server which enables binding to dedicated interfaces - which is a quite common feature for popular server-daemons. being able to tune the interface bindings of an applications is a matter of "good implementation style", IMHO.
I wished if i could do that with ALL applications which bind to interfaces.
I`m sure this feature is easy to implement (because there are tons of code examples on the net and because it seems to be already in tightvnc).

is there anybody who already thinksa about doing that ?
i`m really a bad programmer - maybe i could try my luck with that - but i don`t like it starting such work and fiddling around for some days and then somebody says: ok - i`ve done it. was just 5 mins - TRIVIAL ! :D

regards
roland

Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> schrieb am 19.11.03 10:35:24:

> Around 10 o'clock on Nov 19, "roland@webde" wrote:
>
> > the only chance to get rid of it, is to use unix domain socket (via
> > -nolisten tcp)
>
> That option should be the default; ssh refuses to listen on a unix
> domain socket, but appears quite happy to connect to a unix domain
> socket.
>
> I don't know of any compelling reason to run X raw over TCP/IP these days;
> it's insecure, and a bandwidth pig.
>
> -keith

WEB.DE FreeMail wird 5 Jahre jung! Feiern Sie mit uns und
nutzen Sie die neuen Funktionen http://f.web.de/features/?mc=021130