Re: Unexpected network-traffic

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Christian Göbel wrote:

> What I expect is that X11 causes network traffic when I am connected to a
> X-server somewhere over a network - but why it causes network traffic without
> beeing connected to another computer?
> Is there any (perhaps technical) explanation for that?

Yes. X11 can be used over TCP and over Unix Domain Sockets. Unix Domain Sockets
is emulated in cygwin with TCP. So X11 in cygwin does always use TCP.

You might have noticed that xterm connects to a 127.0.0.0 address which is a
local only address. The xserver connects to IN_ADDR_ANY and not to a specific
network interface.

All network traffic (except the DNS query) is only local.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de