xterm keyboard problems when login-in to a sun

Hi

I'm using XFree86 on my NT box with very good results. Thanks! I'm using it
in default mode (no multiwindow). I have one problem:

I launch xterm on my PC, then rlogin (or ssh -X) to a SUN (default shell on
the SUN is csh). Then I cannot delete characters that I type on the command
line:
backspace gets displayed as ^H
delete gets displayed as ~[[3

I guess this can be solved somehow with stty, but 1) I don't know how and 2)
I thought this shouldn't happen when you come from an xterm as it is
supported by SUN termcap obviously (I'm not surprised when this happens when
login in via a cygwin terminal).
[the latter point is why I'm posting this here]

Note that backspace does work when I launch a bash shell, but fine.
Note also that when then launching xterm on the SUN (displaying on my PC)
the Delete key works (to delete the previous character), while backspace
still displays as  ^H.

Here is the output of "stty -a" I got from the SUN (with xterm on the PC).

speed 9600 baud;
rows = 46 columns = 80; ypixels = 694 xpixels = 739
intr = ^c; quit = ^|; erase = ^?; kill = ^u;
start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ^y;
rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -parext
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-tostop echoctl -echoprt echoke -defecho -flusho -pendin iexten
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel -tabs

"stty -a" with xterm on the SUN looks very similar.

Kris Thielemans

PS: when xterm displays a shell from the PC, backspace works as I expect,
but that's because stty -a reports 'erase=^H'. I wouldn't mind if anybody
told me who sets all this and where. It's an eternal problem with Unix
systems.

PPS: please reply to myself and to the list if you don't mind.