Re: Problem with WinXP, XF86, Caps lock, xterm and cursor keys

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Alan Shutko wrote:

> I've just gotten a new laptop at work with WinXP, and put Cygwin and
> XF86 on it.  I'm currently running the latest as of today (4.3.0-25
> server).
>
> I've disabled my capslock key and turned it into a control key with
> this registry hack:
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
> "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,1d,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00
>
> My caps lock key correctly works as a control key in all windows
> applications, and xev shows it acts just like Control_L.
>
> In xterm, I can use the caps lock key as a control key.  Except, each
> time I press it, my arrow keys toggle between sending the correct
> "^[[A" and the strange "^[[1;2A" (for up; left, down and right have
> similar changes).  Apparently, it's toggling the cursor keys into
> "shifted" state, because that's the "shifted" up arrow key.
>
> This only affects the arrow keys, and page up/page down (which are
> toggled into scrolling).  It seems like there's a bug somewhere
> tracking the caps lock, since I seem to have correctly disabled caps
> lock for number keys, but not arrows.

Cygwin/XFree uses raw scancodes and uses XKB for symbol translation.
Your tweaking will most likely break this conversion.

I declare such a modification as unsupported. You may still ask for
pointers to documentation but I (and most likely the other regulars
too) am not willing to debug such strange modifications.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de