Alt-Gr problem

Hello,
I've a big problem with my german keyboard setting. I'm using cygwin on an
WinXP machine (Toshiba Satellite Notebook) and the Alt-Gr key doesnot work
most of the time, although sometimes it works (that's the strange thing).
I've tried all the advices that have been reported here, but I still didn't
find a solution. When I start Cygwin without xfree the keyboard setting is
o.k. But when I start a window manager (icewm, twm,..) the Alt-Gr key is not
well defined. I've tried changes in the Xmodmap, XFConfig (xkb disabled)
used xev, etc. ..Is this a problem of the Toshiba notebook? I've installed
cygwin on different PC's with the german keyboard and with different Systems
(Win NT, 2000, XP) and it worked quite well everywere else?
Thank you very much for your advices!
Konrad