Problem compiling Lesstif programs on latest Cygwin

Although I have been compiling and running Lesstif
programs on Cygwin successfully for the past year,
something in the latest Cygwin package seems to have
broken my ability to compile/link(?) new programs.
(I can still run previously compiled X/lestif
programs.)

The source code of some of my programs has not changed
in
years, and has compiled unchanged on many platforms,
including, Sun, Linux, HP, SGI, and previous Cygwin
distros, so I did not suspect a 'recent' bug on my
part.

At first I suspected Lesstif has become more
strict or fragile to a possibly-bad or archaic
construct
that I use.  However, I have now tested it on the
simplest program fragments from my Motif text-book,
and
I realize that I cannot run any newly compiled
X/lesstif program, no matter how simple. Below I show
the error messages and include my simple test program.
Any help/suggestions appreciated! Thanks  --Skeet

--------
$ gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib memo_1.c
-lXm -lXt  -lX11 -o memo_1
 Info: resolving _XtStrings by linking to
__imp__XtStrings (auto-import)
 Info: resolving __XtInherit by linking to
__imp___XtInherit (auto-import)
 Info: resolving __XtInheritTranslations by linking to
__imp___XtInheritTranslations (auto-import)
 Info: resolving _XtShellStrings by linking to
__imp__XtShellStrings (auto-import)
 Info: resolving _overrideShellClassRec by linking to
__imp__overrideShellClassRec (auto-import)
 Info: resolving _transientShellClassRec by linking to
__imp__transientShellClassRec (auto-import)

$ memo_1 test
 Warning: XmPrimitive ClassInitialize: XmeTraitSet
failed
 Error: attempt to add non-widget child
"DropSiteManager" to parent "memo_1" which supports
only widgets

------- Program Source: memo_1.c

/* Memo.c - Display a message in an X window. */
#include <X11/Intrinsic.h>
#include <X11/StringDefs.h>
#include <Xm/Xm.h>
#include <Xm/Label.h>

main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
 Widget         toplevel, msg_widget;
 Arg            wargs[10];
 XmString       message;

 /* Initialize the intrinsics. */
 toplevel = XtInitialize(argv[0], "Memo", NULL, 0,
&argc, argv);

 /* Create the Label Widget. */
 message = XmStringCreate("Test Message",
XmSTRING_DEFAULT_CHARSET);
 XtSetArg( wargs[0], XmNlabelString, message);
 msg_widget = XtCreateManagedWidget("msg",
xmLabelWidgetClass, toplevel, wargs, 1);

 /* Realize the widgets and enter the event loop. */
 XtRealizeWidget( toplevel );
 XtMainLoop();
}

-----