Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll

Hello

I try running xfree/cygwin on a PC with Windows XP. When I try to start
xfree either directly from the windows explorer with startxwin.bat or from a
cygwin bash or csh shell with startxwin.sh, I always get the error:

The procedure entry point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic
link library cygwin1.dll

I have made a search in previous messages and they most of them suggest that
similar errors are usually caused by having several versions of cygwin1.dll
or an outdated version of this file. However I have only one version of
cygwin1.dll on my hard disk, the one that came with cygwin 1.5.5-1 which is
dated
to 20.09.03

Has anyone another suggestion for the cause of the problem?

Thanks, Martin