Re: Xaw patch (focus problem) & DLL

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, John E Urbanczyk wrote:

> I am working with an xterm I modified and rebuilt under the latest
> cygwin source files and binaries and have experienced the problem with
> focus (the xterm only has keyboard focus if the mouse is in the window).
> This was corrected with a patch by Harold Hunt recently, and I have been
> looking into implementing the patch.

What do you mean, implementing the patch?

> However, when I rebuilt the library
> with the patch, using the Imake and make with the default settings, it
> builds a static library.

Why build the library at all?  Why not just use the one Harold released
here?

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2003-11/msg00003.html

> (I am building using the files in
> cygwin/xc/programs/Xaw. And because of the firewall I work behind, I
> have been unable to access the CVS source tree, so am unaware of what
> may be missing in my cygwin environment.)

Now I'm really lost.  You said you were using the "latest cygwin source
files and binaries."  And, how does the XFree CVS source tree have
anything to do with things missing from your "cygwin environment".

> It appears from Harold's email
> that he rebuilt a dynamic library, as he states that he tested the patch
> by running a non-recompiled xterm against the library.

Yes.

> So my question
> is: what library (or libraries) need to be rebuilt,

None if you are using the release in the announcement above.

> and does one go about building it?

I would say without getting up-to-date CVS sources, no one would be
interested in re-inventing this for you.

> I have looked at the documentation on dlltool, but
> have never used it before. (The last time I built xterm under cygwin was
> over two years ago, and I believe that static libraries were all that I
> used.

I hope your sources are not that old :).

> And I am confused by the various libraries used in my cygwin setup
> - for example, libXaw-7.dll.a is used by the linker in building xterm,

It's an import library.  Read up on them.

> apparently, but cygxaw-7.dll is required at runtime.) Thanks in advance
> for any help.

This is the actual dll.

Maybe it's just me, but I found your description very confusing.  Since
you had not received a reply yet, I thought I would try to help you
clarify.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer