Re: Cygwin crashed by emacs???

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Sergey Barabash wrote:

> Dear Brian,
>
> Thank you for your reply.

You are welcome.  But, I prefer that you send all Cygwin XFree related
mail only to cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com instead of sending me private
mail.  Thanks.

> In fact, cygwin-xfree was for "discussion" of XFree and
> answering "how to" questions, according to the online description.
> I wanted to report a bug and the only group mentioning bug
> reports was cygwin. Sorry if this was misdirected, but then the
> online description should be clarified.

I'm glad you read the list descriptions that closely :).  Most people
don't.

PTC, but this one is not worth my time.

> > I also suggest you use http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe to update your
> > installation (especially the cygwin package, emacs package, and all
>
> It is not an emacs problem: as I mentioned, I ran different versions
> of emacs on different platforms and they all crash XWin.

I agree.

But, your Cygwin installation sounded like it was significantly
out-of-date (<= 1.3.22.  Since you still have not provided the
information requested in http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html, I still
can not tell.)

Since 1.5.x was an major ABI change, I suggested that you update
everything (at least what you claimed to be using) to avoid additional
breakage.  Furthermore, you will generally not get free "support" from
an open source community if your software is very out-of-date.

> Furthermore, an XServer must be stable no matter what
> crazy thing a window application does -- if it is not, it is a bug
> with the Xserver and not the problem of the application -- don't you
> think so?

Yes, but you should always check to see if the bug has been fixed in the
latest version first.

> > This is XWin.exe, not your "entire cygwin session" (whatever that means).
> > As such, please use the cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com list.  I have directed
> > this reply there.
>
> I hope you do not assume that every cygwin user has done extensive
> study of the code and knows that "XWin" is same as "XFree"...

No, I don't.  That would be amazing if they did.

> Also, I installed cygwin because I needed a free X-server and that's
> how I normally use it. I do appreciate the fact that cygwin
> provides many more tools and a virtual linux machine running on my
> computer, but the only way I know how to use those tools (not to say
> that I frequently use them, but still..) is through the X-interface, so
> indeed an "entire cygwin cession", being all interactive jobs, whether
> local or remote (and in my case all remote), would crash for me anyway..

Ok, how about "my entire Cygwin *X* session".  That would be the normal
term to use, I think.

> > I don't know what Cygwin version 1.3-4 was/is.
>
> Actually that's the documentation version
> (usr/doc/Cygwin/cygwin-doc-1.3-4.README) which I assumed was same as
> the program version.
> The uname info is actually CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.3.22(0.78/3/2)
> Sorry, I did not know that I could not trust documentation... ;(

Why would you expect the documentation version to be the same as the
program version?  The two do not usually change together.  I would expect,
however, that if the documentation documented the program version, it
would document the correct version number.

> > I suggest you visit http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html to see how to
> I did, except it was all obvious stuff.

Where is your cygcheck output?

> If you are concerned about people not knowing which version
> they are running, you could have that web page explain how to correctly
> look up the version number! Similarly, if the executable name ("XWin") is
> different from the project name ("XFree"), the webpage could list both...

Ok on the latter.  The former would have been included in cygcheck.out.

> I'll try to update cygwin but I doubt it will change anything,
> if similar problem has not been addressed recently, which apparently is
> not the case. My version is only 4 months old, and this looks like
> quite a nasty bug...

I tremendous amount of work on Cygwin and Cygwin Xfree86 has been done in
those four months.  It may not fix your problem, but we won't know until
you try.  And, I don't know anyone who is going to take you seriously
until you do.

> Anyway, thanks again for the reply
> and for your help!
> I'll send one more reply to the group with the correct version #.

You are welcome again.

I don't mean to come on too strong, but we have many people who do not
take the time to read any of the web site/documentation/list archives
first.  That is the standard assumption, especially if you do not attach
cygcheck output as requested.

Your reply to the list was probably too short to solicit any real
feedback.  Please try to update and post your results again.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer