Re: not getting login using xdmcp

Andrew,

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
I have a similar problem. This is with a SuSE 8.2 installation. I had Mandrake 9.1 installed before and managed to get XDMCP working. Can't get it working with SuSE however and I'm pulling my hair out!

I have nothing in my /var/log/messages nor /var/log/kdm.log files. I'm using:

$ xwin -query sonslinux -from adefaria

X comes up but no login dialog box. XWin.log is attached.

Any help would be appreciated.

How many network interfaces do you have? Find out the IP address of the interface that is actually communicating with sonslinux and make sure to specify that IP address in the -from parameter. If you give it the wrong IP, it will cause the XDM serve to be unable to send messages back to XWin.exe

XDM: too many retransmissions

This is your key log message from XWin.log. The XDM support in XWin.exe is generic to all X Servers, so you can google for this message and try to find some help there. My guess is that you either have a problem with the return address being incorrect (as I talk about above), or one of the following:

1) You have not enabled an XDM server on your Linux machine followed by a restart.

2) You could also just not be running you linux machine at the correct run level, which would cause the XDM server to not even be started.

3) You have not enabled remote XDMCP connections for the XDM server that you are running (followed by a restart):

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-mandrake-8.1-xdmcp

NOTE: The fact that the above link says "Mandrake" can be ignored... it was originally written when Mandrake started defaulting XDMCP to being disabled, which was closely followed by my realizing that almost all distributions started doing this.