Re: website & identifiers

Thomas Dickey wrote:

When perusing the website for news, it would be useful if the pages were
marked (in their source) as generated or manually updated.  For the former
(unless they're generated on demand), a modification date would also be
useful.  For the latter, an RCS/CVS/etc identifier to distinguish
successive versions is normally expected.

Are the pages all generated from another format, or are some in CVS
(somewhere)?

By the way... what are you looking for? CVS identifiers wouldn't necessarily help to determine that new information has been posted since commits for spelling fixes, grammar changes, dead link correction, etc. would cause irrelevant noise in the modified date tags. That's really why I chose to put a hand-coded date at the top of the pages; that way people are notified when content has been modified in a meaningful way, but there aren't false-positives when minor changes have been made.

Would CVS identifiers still be useful for whatever you are trying to do? Maybe I'll start adding them as comments for starters but still keep the hand-modified date for each page.