Re: Possible to use clipboard with remote/xdm connection?

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 05:34:11PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> >Should it be possible to get the '-clipboard' parameter to work with
> >cyxwin/X when connecting to a remote xdm program?
> >
> >I'm using cygwin/X on a win2k system to connect to a Slackware Linux
> >(9.1) system on my home LAN.  Is it possible to get clipboard
> >cut/paste to work either to or from my WIn2k desktop?
> >

> I think there is a timing and authentication problem with the internal
> -clipboard implementation and remote XDM sessions.  You can, instead,
> use the 'xwinclip' program (installed via Cygwin's setup.exe) and wait
> to launch it until after you have logged in to your remote XDM host.
> You may have to run 'xhost 127.0.0.1' on the remote host after you have
> logged in.

I'm a little confused as to what I should do where! :-)

I start up cygwin/x and it immediately displays the xdm login from the
slackware system.  The only thing I can do then is log into to my
linux system.

Do I then need to run a *local* cygwin window on my win2k system and
run 'xwinclip'?  In that case what will running 'xhost 127.0.0.1' on
the remote system do?  (I know what xhost does, I just don't see what
it has to do with running xwinclip).

Or have I got hold of completely the wrong end of the stick?

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)