Re: Possible to use clipboard with remote/xdm connection?

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 05:10:57PM +0100, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > But if I run xhost in that session I will be setting xhost permissions
> > on the Linux Slackware system which is most definitely not what is
> > required.
>
> No. It sets the permissions of the __xserver__ to which the session belongs.
>
> Try it!
>
> linux$ echo $DISPLAY
> win2k.local.net:0.0
> linux$ xhost 127.0.0.1
> 127.0.0.1 being added to access control list
> linux$ xhost
> access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
> INET:localhost
> linux$ DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 xhost
> xhost:  unable to open display "127.0.0.1:0.0"
>
> win2k$ DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0 xhost
> access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
> INET:win2k
>
> > It seems very odd that xhost requires access to the local display in
> > order to work as you need xhost to set permission to acces the local
> > display - sort of catch 22.
>
> Same with the gates of a castle. To get in, you must open it from inside.
> This is the main principle of security. You can not allow those who have
> no access to change the permissions.

... but I am "within the castle", I'm sitting running a script on the
win2k system and I can't see how to run xwinclip there because it
won't give me permission to display on the terminal that I'm already
using.

It's of little use to be able to allow xwinclip to run on the win2k
system by executing something on the Linux system.  One wants a means
to do it from the X startup script.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)