Re: Possible to use clipboard with remote/xdm connection?

Chris Green wrote:

> > Same with the gates of a castle. To get in, you must open it from inside.
> > This is the main principle of security. You can not allow those who have
> > no access to change the permissions.
> >
> ... but I am "within the castle", I'm sitting running a script on the
> win2k system

The win2k system and xwin are two different systems.

The first may be used by more than one person and the second must only be
used by you.

Just imagine someone wants to steal a password from you and starts a client
which registers all keystrokes entered in a xterm. This program can be started
from a linux box or from the win2k system itself. The X11 security model tries
to prevent this by not allowing any connection that is not started by you.

for further reading I advice man Xsecurity. There are all security models
described in detail.

> and I can't see how to run xwinclip there because it
> won't give me permission to display on the terminal that I'm already
> using.

If you've lost your key you'll be able to leave your house but are not able
to enter it again. These are two different situations and the design is good
but you have a problem if you've lost your key.

> It's of little use to be able to allow xwinclip to run on the win2k
> system by executing something on the Linux system.  One wants a means
> to do it from the X startup script.

Yes, it still has problems. Maybe a solution which is more closely bound to
the xserver is a better design.

eg:

XChangeSelection (or ProcSetSelectionOwner)
    -> check for recursion
    -> convert X11 Selection to windows clipboard

winWndProc(WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD)
    -> check for recursion
    -> convert Windows clipboard to X11 selection

I'm not familar with the Xserver internals on selection managment. Harold or
Kensuke, can you please comment this?

That design would remove the need for an external app (or another thread)
which acts as client and is therefore bound to the security problems.

bye
    ago

NP: Project Pitchfork - Go further
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723