Re: Cygwin/X NEdit package maintainership

Nathan Gray wrote:

On Jan 2, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

I didn't have to define BUILD_BROKEN_NEDIT, but I don't think that check_lin_tif was being built in the default build for Cygwin, so the version of LessTif is not being checked. When I built it manually it showed that 0.93.91 is an untested version, but not a version explicitly known to be broken.

Interesting. That means a bug in our build system -- check_lin_tif should be built on all platforms that are likely to use LessTif.

I log my output from builds and I found nothing indicating that it was built; it would be pretty hard to miss the large message that is printed. I also did a search for check_lin_tif.c in my build log and came up with nothing. In looking at the Makefiles, I didn't see anywhere that the target that creates the check_lin_tif executable was made a dependency of all.

Scott did a good job of explaining our position on untested LessTif versions so I won't rehash that here, but I will reiterate that it would not be wise to distribute an NEdit built against such a LessTif without extensive testing (e.g. somebody using it for real work for a week or two). If you do such testing and find that the version of LessTif you're using is good then let us know and we'll add it to the known-good list.

Well, there are likely already tons of people using the package... but I would feel better if someone would confirm that they did not get any crashes in a week of heavy use. Any volunteers to test the NEdit package on Cygwin/X that is installed via Cygwin's setup.exe?