Re: X11 Selections

Kensuke,

Kensuke Matsuzaki wrote:

Harold,

I think you were working on XFIXES extention to solve #1.
Is that another solution?

Yes, I was working on using XFIXES, but it was very difficult to get code within the server to compile with and use the XFIXES extension.

The clipboard integration is only for our X Server, so it isn't a problem to wrap the function that we need to monitor directly. In fact, it ends up being a much cleaner solution. It is a lot easier to understand, and it does not introduce another X Client library dependency for XWin.exe, which is good to avoid.

Harold

1) Stop stealing the selection ownership as a means to tell when the clipboard has changed within X.

2) Don't require an X Client connection and try to remove the dependency on Xlib.

The new code solves problem #1, but it does nothing for #2, since we still need an X Client connection to receive the contents of the selection and we still need Xlib to convert the selection into the desired format. I am not sure how long it will take us to remove these two dependencies, so I am going to release the solution to problem #1 in the mean time. I am not sure that we will ever deem it worth the time and effort to solve problem #2.