Re: How to print to printer on machine running X serve

Ãyvind Harboe wrote:
Something I've done in the past is print to a Postscript file on the
remote machine, convert it to PDF using ps2pdf, transfer it to the
local computer via FTP, and then use Adobe Acrobat Reader on the local
machine to view/print the result.

Thanks!

This is a bit elephant, but it requires no setup and it works.

My previous via-pdf approach was to export a .pdf from OpenOffice, but for some reason Windows Adobe Acrobat Reader refused to load the .pdf
file + it didn't work for e.g. Evolution.

All we need now is a "xwinps2pdf" utility :-) Beats me how to go about
this in a generic, no options, no setup way though.

You guys do know that we have ps2pdf under Cygwin, right? Just install the ghostscript-x11 and ghostscript-base packages. That saves you the conversion step through a shell on your *nix box and instead allows you to do it on Cygwin.

Actually, I print to PS files in Windows all the time, then run them through ps2pdf to get PDFs of web pages, receipts, Word docs, etc. Works great if you know the little trick about telling the Win32 printer driver to "Download as Soft Font" any TTF fonts... otherwise you get funny little boxes where the PS font is missing a character definition that the TTF font has. :-)