Re: Configuration for multiple monitors

Ãyvind,

Jack Tanner had some valid points for keeping -nomultiplemonitors.

The reason we won't just remove the -multiplemonitors option is a little easier:

1) XWin.exe does not print nor popup error messages when it exists; rather, it logs them to /tmp/XWin.log.

2) Removing the -multiplemonitors option will cause XWin.exe to fail to start.

3) Must users do not know to look at /tmp/XWin.log to see that they passed an invalid parameter.

4) We will start seeing lots of fun reports on the mailing list asking why XWin.exe is crashing on startup, when it is in fact just reporting that -multiplemonitors is an invalid parameter.

That is why we don't remove old parameters completely. We don't want to waste time debugging non-problems caused by doing so.

Harold

Ãyvind Harboe wrote:

Harold,

perhaps the below should *always* be TRUE and there shouldn't be an option at all?

g_ScreenInfo[i].fMultipleMonitors = TRUE;

If so, then the changes TBD are:

- remove the -multiplemontiors option
- always set fMultipleMonitors=TRUE, or remove fMultipleMontiors altogether.

(Code removed is not code deleted; it is in CVS in case it needs to be summoned at some point.)

Thanks for these tips BTW:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-01/msg00160.html

Ãyvind