internet required?

Sorry, about the message below - seems to be the Zone Alarm problem

Why does it run sooooo slow. It appears to be accessing the internet at all times. When I shutdown the internet connection Xwin won't work. I lauched from the DOS bat file. Help

Eric M. LaBolle, Ph.D.
Hydrologic Sciences, University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616
Phone: 530-753-8999; FAX: 530-753-5185
emlabolle@ucdavis.edu