Re: internet required?

Yes, it probably is a Zone Alarm problem. Anything that effects the IP stack on Windows can potentially cause problems and/or slow downs in the performance of Cygwin/X. Have you tried disabling Zone Alarm?

It is interesting that Zone Alarm is having trouble distinquishing between connections to the local machine (127.0.0.1) vs. the actual internet (!127.0.0.1).

Harold

Eric LaBolle wrote:

Sorry, about the message below - seems to be the Zone Alarm problem

Why does it run sooooo slow. It appears to be accessing the internet at all times. When I shutdown the internet connection Xwin won't work. I lauched from the DOS bat file. Help

Eric M. LaBolle, Ph.D.
Hydrologic Sciences, University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616
Phone: 530-753-8999; FAX: 530-753-5185
emlabolle@ucdavis.edu