Crash in xserv 4.3.0-40

>What is "crashing"? XWin.exe? Does your entire X11 session bomb? Or, is just
> Evolution crashing? If Evolution is crashing, then it is likely due to bugs
> in Evolution; granted, some of these bugs may be brought out by XWin.exe,
>but they would still be bugs nonetheless.

Some thread in the XWin.exe process causes an access violation.

>>- I can use the Evolution interface after the "Do you want to debug" requester has popped
>>up. I interpret this as some "non-essential thread" having been stopped while the rest of
>>XWin threads continue "unperturbed"
>
>That message is coming from Evolution, not from XWin.exe. If one of XWin.exe's
> thread's crashed, that thread would just exit silently (usually with a message
>saying so in XWin.log).

The message I'm referring to is the Windows Dr Watson message that allows me to launch
the Visual C++ debugger which will then show me the instruction that caused the access violation
in the XWin.exe process.

Depending on the configuration of the system, this requester could be anything. I presume it is even
possible to launch GDB at this point.

>>- Copy & paste works after the crash(from Evolution to Windows)
>
>So, XWin.exe is not crashing,

Crashing as you pointed out is a terribly vague description, but I would have to insist
that XWin.exe is indeed crashing. :-)

I interpret the situation as a thread within the XWin.exe process having been halted after causing
an access violation. The remaining threads in XWin.exe are allowed to continue.
The requester that is put up is Windows allowing me to debug it.

If I press "no I don't want to debug", then Xwin.exe is immediately terminated.

>Are you sure XWin.exe did this?

Yes, I've even looked at the XWin.exe in the Visual C++ debugger, but without symbol information
its kinda pointless.

>This sounds like it is happening in Evolution. You
> are running Evolution on a separate Linux/*nix box, right?

Yes.

> You haven't done something silly like compiled it for Cygwin, have you?

Nope.

I don't have enough knowledge about xfree86 to do anything particularly harmfull :-)

Ãyvind