From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Atwood, Robert C
Sent: 19 January 2004 11:20
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1 graph program -- building under
cygwin -- possibly LessTif bug from 0.93.91 ?

Thanks again Harold -- This is getting to be a steadily decreasing
priority for me so don't rush to solve my problems at the expense of
those interviews. I can easily transfer the data to a Linux box and use
my patched Grace from there to get the tick marks -- at this point the
only reason to pursue this is to learn how, maybe I can even locate the
bug ( with a little help) ...
I imagine that several other people also know the answers to these
questions as they are getting more general. I have had no problem doing
the same things on a Linux box, so it seems that it is the differences
between Linux (Red Hat 9, Red Hat 8, and Slackware 8.1) and Cygwin that
are messing me up.

>You need at least the following packages to build grace and lesstif:

>fontconfig
>libfontconfig1
>libfontconfig-devel

>XFree86-prog

>Harold

I have those, but I cannot figure out how to get Configure to pick them
up. That is, I can compile the little test routine (as used by configure
to test the M*tif installation)  from the command line by including all
the -l flags for these libraries directly but grace<version>/configure
always fails because it is not including those flags.  ( I figured this
out since last time I posted here...the libraries were all
there,somewhere, just not referenced by -l flags )
-lXft -lfontconfig -lXrender in addition to those mentioned by default

I tried adding them in the environment variable LDFLAGS but that didn't
work either -- possibly they are in the wrong order. The LDFLAGS seems
to get put before the -I flags and before the other libraries.

Is there some cygwin equvalent of ldconfig or ld.so.conf that I am
missing out here?  Or does the grace-<version>/configure script need
some changes to use a compiled LessTif instead of packaged binaries?
(this is what I will probably try next)

I have had some confusion in the past about this, on Cygwin certain
libraries getting automatically referenced .. when does a library not
explicitly referenced by a -l flag get automatically referenced?

--Robert