RE: non-widget child "DropSiteManager" error (WAS: RE: Grace (xmgrace)5.1.12-1 ... )

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Atwood, Robert C wrote:

> What I did: Building lesstif -- just using the provided script (for now,
> without even trying debugging)
> Sorry this is my first exposure to the cygwin building scripts, I am not
> sure what it did with my config.log, but it is the script included in
> 0.93.91-6, using <package>.sh all

The whole build is done in .build.

>             Installing lesstif -- untarred the resulting archive into
> the / location
>
>             Configuring grace -- grace-5.1.12-1.sh prep
>                                  export X_EXTRA_LIBS="-lXft -lfontconfig
> -lXrender"
>                                  cd grace-5.1.12
>                                  ./configure
> --with-motif-library-/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a  [--enable-debug] (tried
> with/without)

I believe this is a static lesstif lib.  And, AFAIK, a static lesstif lib
will not work now that Xt is a DLL.  I don't know why it is still in the
package.  I would think that lesstif-0.93.91-6.sh should be passing
--disable-static to configure and that would keep this from being
built/installed.

Do not use that lib.  Move it out of the way.  You should be linking with
libXm.dll.a, although -lXm should just do that.

>                                  make
>                                  make tests
>
> The errors occurred here. I tried some other ways of getting the
> librarys included (before I settled on this way) with identical results.
> With the lesstif installed from the binary package via setup, the tests
> work (but crash, as mentioned, with a seg fault if an axis dialog is
> opened) In this case no graphs open, only the error message (non-widget
> etc.) in the parent terminal window.

That is because you are linking with the broken static lib.

> I am not sure why X_EXTRA_LIBS were needed when they were not needed
> when I compiled grace using the lesstif that was installed from the
> binary package. This was very confusing. As far as I can tell, these
> libraries are not part of lesstif,(are they?)

Libtool may have taken care of this for you, although I don't know why it
isn't now.  Look in libXm.la.

See the following reference for some details:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00401.html

> Final linking line:
>
> gcc -O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro -fno-common -Wall -pedantic -Wpointer-arith
> -Wnested-externs -I.. -I. -I../T1lib/t1lib -I../Xbae
> -I/usr/X11R6/include main.o plotone.o files.o ssdata.o utils.o
> drawticks.o nonlfit.o lmdif.o as274c.o fit.o fourier.o graphs.o
> graphutils.o setutils.o regionutils.o objutils.o computils.o defaults.o
> params.o draw.o dlmodule.o pars.o missing.o  iofilters.o dates.o
> t1fonts.o device.o dummydrv.o mfdrv.o mifdrv.o psdrv.o pdfdrv.o svgdrv.o
> gd.o rstdrv.o mathstuff.o Tab.o motifutils.o compwin.o comwin.o
> eblockwin.o editpwin.o events.o featext.o fileswin.o plotwin.o
> graphappwin.o helpwin.o hotwin.o locatewin.o miscwin.o monwin.o
> nonlwin.o printwin.o ptswin.o regionwin.o setwin.o strwin.o setappwin.o
> tickwin.o worldwin.o fontwin.o xutil.o x11drv.o xmgrace.o -o xmgrace.exe
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib   ../Xbae/Xbae/libXbae.a /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a -lXpm

Yep.  Don't use that one.

> -lXp -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11  -lSM -lICE -lXft  -lfontconfig -lXrender
> ../cephes/libcephes.a   ../T1lib/libt1.a  -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm

You will still need the debug build to find the dialog problem.  Look in
the <package>.sh script to figure out how to do one manually.  It isn't
that hard to dig through.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer