RE: non-widget child "DropSiteManager" error (WAS: RE: Grace (xmgrace)5.1.12-1 ... )

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Atwood, Robert C wrote:

> >I believe this is a static lesstif lib.  And, AFAIK, a static lesstif
> lib will not work now that Xt is a DLL.  I don't know why
> >it is still in the package.  I would think that lesstif-0.93.91-6.sh
> should be passing --disable-static to configure and that
> >would keep this from being built/installed.
>
> It has both --enable-static and --enable-shared in there, does one
> override the other? I do not get the dll.

No.  They are supposed to be independent.

> I am trying again with the --enable-static removed ; or do you actually
> have to specify --disable-static?

It depends on how this package is defaulted.  I don't remember and am
still in the process of migrating to a new PC, so I don't have easy access
to the source.  That is also the reason for all the vague replies.

> Is this documented somewhere?

What does *this* mean :^D?

> However, I don't see why one library can't be static and the other
> shared, doesn't it just look for the needed symbol at run-time?  --  I
> am willing to take your word for it though.

No.  Windows requires all symbols to be defined at link time.  Xt/Xm/Xaw3d
all depend on more *nix like behavior and expect to override symbols at
run time.  The hack used to fix this hooks into DLL initialization.  Thus,
no static lib support.  There are probably other reasons as well.

Search the achives for VendorShell if you want more detail.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer