RE: Initiating a remote X session

I would also suggest ssh tunnels for what you are trying to do.  That is
what I do myself.  If you
really do not want to do that, a replacement for
MYIP=`hostname -i`  rexec <host> -l <username> "setenv DISPLAY $MYIP:0;
/opt/SAS82/sas"

might be

MYIP=`ipconfig | grep "IP Address" | awk '{print $NF}'`  rexec <host> -l
<username> "setenv DISPLAY $MYIP:0; /opt/SAS82/sas"

This assumes that there is only one network interface on the machine and the
machine has all the requisite programs installed.  I know that the Windows
9x versions had a program called winipcfg, which could not be used this way.
I am not sure if they had ipconfig in those versions and if not, when it
started.

Andy